Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekly Update: 8/10/2008

This will be a mini update, I don't have the pictures of the onions, garlic, etc to show you.


I wanted to be sure, though, to tell you all that the compost is done. Well, not really. It went through its 3 months of heating, cooling, and curing. I can still make out some egg shells and lots of twigs. I'm using it as is, I've already put it in the veggie patch as one of my layers. I'm doing Lasagna Gardening, for those of you who didn't know. I'll probably write on that later this fall.

But I've already almost filled up the R2 unit again, so I hope to get another batch done before it gets too cold out.


The snap beans (left) are doing really well and I plan to grow them again next year (variety: Kentucky Wonder). Great flavor raw, haven't steamed any yet. The bush beans are nice, too, but we're having a bug issue and most of them are munched on. Max loves them, we've been using them to keep his mind off his eyedrops. He just crunches away at them. I'm glad he hasn't found the plants yet, he might devour them.

I don't think I mentioned that I purchased a bunch of strawberry plants and put them in the half whiskey barrel we had laying around. The strawberries that made their appearance were picked off by an unnamed creature (not us) before we got to try them, and so far no more fruit has grown. I hope to pile some hay/straw bales around it to try to get them to overwinter, but if not no big loss.
That's it for now, stay tuned for the blueberry, blackberry, squash, garlic and onion report.


No comments: