We inherited the blueberry bush with the house. It hadn't been taken care of in years, it was easily 7' tall when we moved in. We've been hacking off a couple old branches a year and for the most part the bush has been responding well, putting out a lot of new growth and loads of blueberries. It's funny, I didn't like blueberries until I ate these. I guess home grown really does change you.
We attempted last year to root some branches with some rooting cups which you attach directly to the branch, fill with peat moss/dirt/whatever and like magic roots are supposed to grow. Well, they didn't, and those branches didn't survive the winter.
Plan B started this weekend: adventures with rooting hormone! I've never used rooting hormone before, but if Martha Stewart can do it so can I!
I found a small branch that had lots of leaves, but only about 3-4 flowers on it. I broke it into 8 pieces, and took the leaves off the bottom so there was about 1-2" of stem with little nubs. The directions are very specific about nubs, that is where the eventual roots will grow from.
I dipped the stems in the rooting hormone, which is a white powder.
I stuck two in each pot.
It will take a few weeks to see if anything is happening. Until then, I am to keep the potting medium moist but not soggy.
I'm hoping to get 3 usable new plants out of this. If I get more, great, we'll keep them going and either plant them or give them away.
Getting ready for Spring 2017: July...
1 month ago