Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Few Thoughts for Thursday

We had some rain here finally. I probably won't have to water the garden for a few days, which I'm thankful for because it takes me about an hour to do it thouroughly. I like watering the garden, don't get me wrong. It gives me a chance to stand still and look around at everything. But it is tedious.

The winter squash vines have vine borers in them. So far none in the pumpkins, though (knock on wood). For those of you unfamilliar with these evil beings, read this and this. I have been digging them out using the method described in the links. I hope it is enough. I also bought some (ahem) injectable nematodes and hope they do the trick. How often can you say to your coworker "OH BOY!! My Injectable Nematodes shipped today!!" It was worth ordering them just for that opportunity.

The humidity is just starting to really hit here, I think the A/Cs are going to go in soon.

Someone else wrote a very nice blog post about hard work, I recommend you read it. I totally agree. I think I would have liked to have answered that you can not get those veggies in the grocery store, which leads me to....

We have been eating sides of veggies out of the garden, thankfully. This is the time of year that reminds me why I do all this: the taste of the fresh-picked veggies. The beans are soooo good. The squash fresh and tasty. Peas are so sweet, and yes I'm still picking them (I can't believe it, either). The promise of fresh tomatoes and peppers and such. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Squash borers are the spawn of the Evil One. Good luck in eradicating them!