Monday, October 5, 2009

The Garage Demise, part 2

In part one, I showed you why the garage needs to come down. This is the beginning of dirt removal.

We have a Kubota backhoe, which we love dearly but haven't named yet. Kubby? I think I'll start calling it Kubby and see what Matt does. :)
He actually started digging out a bit of the bank a couple months ago, just to see how it went, I think. At the point of these pictures, he'd taken some spraypaint and marked on the grass how far back he wanted it dug out. Then, he just started digging.
I came home from work one day and the stairs were gone. I was so tired I didn't even notice.

It was about the point of the next three pictures that Matt decided that dirt removal would take him forever with the small size of Kubby's bucket, so we decided to call our friend and landscaper, Joe. Joe is fantastic with a Bobcat and we knew he'd do a bangup job.

We did put up some orange tape so that if we had any people running around our property at night in the dark they would, at the very least, break through the tape before falling 7 feet into a hole.
This is what was accomplished on the other side of the garage before Joe came to help:

In part 3, we see Joe, his bobcat, and a finished product. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Dang!

Mama Pea said...

Just one of those little homesteading projects that is so much harder and takes so much longer in reality than one would E V E R expect!

Looks like a big undertaking. Waiting for the next installment.

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Wow. I really liked those steps too. They had character. :-(