Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oh Muh Darlin' Clemintine!

I found this recipe for canning clementine oranges recently and as we LOVE them I decided to try to save some so we'd have some decent citrus options over the summer. I bought 15lb of clementines. I know, I know. 5lb was for eating, though, and I knew some would be a little funky, and they were. So, that's about 10lb for canning.
Since I have fingernails and Matt doesn't, I peeled while he took all the segments apart. It actually didn't take too long.

What took the longest was getting the water to boil. I waited on that FOREVER.
Very light syrup, 10min in a boiling water bath (eventually), and tada! Very little siphoning this time, and only one of the quarts didn't seal.
So, ten pounds of clementines got me 3 quarts and 6 pints. And a huge pile of peel....soon to be candied (stay tuned)...

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh gosh, those look yummy! Good thing I wasn't there to "help" 'cause I probably would have eaten about 8 of the 10 pounds before you got them canned.

I never thought of canning citrus before. But why not? I can all kinds of other fruit so why not citrus? Sounds like a lovely, light, fresh-tasting dessert to have in the pantry.

Jody M said...

I figure if we have these, we'll eat them.

In the directions on the site I listed, they said that they use lye to burn (melt?) off the membrain on the individual segments of mandarin oranges before they can them. Uh, ick!

YD, sometimes with Samantha and June said...

Sounds good!