Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Oh Muh Darlin' Clemintine!

I found this recipe for canning clementine oranges recently and as we LOVE them I decided to try to save some so we'd have some decent citrus options over the summer. I bought 15lb of clementines. I know, I know. 5lb was for eating, though, and I knew some would be a little funky, and they were. So, that's about 10lb for canning.
Since I have fingernails and Matt doesn't, I peeled while he took all the segments apart. It actually didn't take too long.

What took the longest was getting the water to boil. I waited on that FOREVER.
Very light syrup, 10min in a boiling water bath (eventually), and tada! Very little siphoning this time, and only one of the quarts didn't seal.
So, ten pounds of clementines got me 3 quarts and 6 pints. And a huge pile of peel....soon to be candied (stay tuned)...

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh gosh, those look yummy! Good thing I wasn't there to "help" 'cause I probably would have eaten about 8 of the 10 pounds before you got them canned.

I never thought of canning citrus before. But why not? I can all kinds of other fruit so why not citrus? Sounds like a lovely, light, fresh-tasting dessert to have in the pantry.

Jody M said...

I figure if we have these, we'll eat them.

In the directions on the site I listed, they said that they use lye to burn (melt?) off the membrain on the individual segments of mandarin oranges before they can them. Uh, ick!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Sounds good!