I found this recipe for canning clementine oranges recently and as we LOVE them I decided to try to save some so we'd have some decent citrus options over the summer. I bought 15lb of clementines. I know, I know. 5lb was for eating, though, and I knew some would be a little funky, and they were. So, that's about 10lb for canning.
Since I have fingernails and Matt doesn't, I peeled while he took all the segments apart. It actually didn't take too long.
What took the longest was getting the water to boil. I waited on that FOREVER.
Very light syrup, 10min in a boiling water bath (eventually), and tada! Very little siphoning this time, and only one of the quarts didn't seal.
So, ten pounds of clementines got me 3 quarts and 6 pints. And a huge pile of peel....soon to be candied (stay tuned)...
Grow Curious Book Pre-Ordering is Here!
3 weeks ago