Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Garden Overview 2008, part 1

Tomatoes: always a hit in terms of taste, this year was so-so in terms of quanity. I grew Sun Gold cherries, Brandywines, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Cherokee Purple, and Mortgage Lifter. All of them had fantastic flavor this year, I may grow the same varieties next year.

Peppers: very late this year, I don't think I got a ripe pepper until September. The orange bells tasted like green bells, I'll not grow them again. The Red Ruffles were fantastic as usual. The pimento peppers didn't produce anything until about frost, so I dug it up and brought it inside. There is a red pepper waiting for me as I write this, I'll let you know how it is.

Broccoli: fan-freaking-tastic. Will definitely grow my own broccoli again.

Beets: wonderful. Great flavor, big beets, not woody. Beautiful, looked like peaches.

Spinach: bitter. I probably let them go too long. I have some plants in now, they say you can winter them over. We'll see.

Cucumbers: this is the first year I've had luck with cucumbers. They were cute, Boothby's Blonde, good flavor and thin skins so I could snack on them at work.

No comments: