Friday, November 28, 2008

The Roots of All Evil

It was a beautiful summer that year, full of harvesting and enjoying the best tomatoes straight from the vine. Sure, there was weeding, too. Messy, difficult weeding with slugs and aphids, but it didn’t taint the feeling that this was a good year full of good vegetables, and all was happy in the land of Morris.

But they didn’t know….what lies below!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Early spring. Unsuspecting gardener Jody gleefully prepares the carrot and lettuce patch.

“Gee,” she thought. “I really like parsnips, I wonder if I can grow any?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Summer was coming to a close, the last of the tomatoes came in and became sauce and salsa. Broccoli was planted, one stalk harvested and then….chaos. Something ate everything in the garden. The broccoli was no more, an ominous sign of…what was to come!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Huh,” She thought. “Parsnips have a really long growing period. Seed them early in the spring, then let them go through the first good frost of the fall. I wonder if it will be worth it?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mid fall. Garlic is planted in the hopes that it wouldn’t be too late. The parsnip tops had disappeared along with some of the spinach. Was it too late? WAS ALL LOST?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Well, it’s late fall. We’ve had frost AND some snow. Probably should dig the parsnips and see if we got anything.”

(insert ominous music here)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MONSTERS! MONSTERS TAKING OVER THE GARDEN! RUN! RUN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THE ROOTS ARE TAKING OVER!!

3 comments:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Crickey!

I guess Parsnips are on the list for next year... along with the electrified fence.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Holy cow!

Jody M said...

I KNOW! That's what I said when I dug the first one, only the second word wasn't 'cow.' I really had no idea they would be so big. And I still haven't cooked them, so I don't know if they're woody.