Monday, November 16, 2009

The Garage Demise, part 8

We had been stuck in a weather cycle here where it rained (POURED) every weekend for three weeks. We had hoped to have concrete poured before last weekend, but alas it was not to be.
We did have PLENTY of time to get the forms and such in, though. We poured right on top of the existing floor (I think I talked about that already) and re-used the ceiling boards as concrete forms, too. We hardly had to buy anything.

We also left in the back wall. More on that in a bit.
Below is one of the pins that is holding the concrete form in place. As you can see, we painted it bright orange so that all the criminals that that apparently secretly run around our property in the middle of the night would see it at the last minute as they tripped and fell.
And it was about 30* that morning as we got up around 6am to wait for the concrete truck to arrive....
The crew: l-r, Corey, my FiL Ray, Vino-the-security-guard-from-work, and Matt-the-husband-from-here. Max is freaking out inside because he isn't part of the party:
Vino hasn't done concrete before, as you can tell from this picture where he's cornered himself in really well. He really pitched in, but I'm not entirely sure he knew what he'd gotten himself into.
We used the sludge from the last bit of concrete to fill in the back wall a bit to strengthen it:
Using the 16' float to smooth things out:Smoothing a bit more:TaDa!!!!! All in all, we finished 10 yards of concrete in a little over an hour. That is really, really good in terms of time, they allow you 1hr 50min for 10 yards.


Mama Pea said...

Wow, that must feel really good to finally have the concrete floor poured. What a BIG job. Now things should really start to happen as far as seeing NEW construction.

You guys have done so much work on this project!

Jody M said...

I know! It's been great, Matt is teaching me some building skills. It must be hell for him to wait on me to do measurements he could do in 30seconds, but...he's been nice about it.

From here on out, I'm planning on taking a picture a day to show the progress we're making and then posting it after 7-10 days. So far (day 1 and 2 of Operation: Build) we have two walls up!