Wednesday, October 1, 2008

So, what do you do with....the extra tomatoes?

Matt and I have been talking about trying our hand at canning now for a couple years, and this year we finally took the plunge.

A new virtual friend (YD) told me about the website Pick Your Own and they have a great canning section. I checked it out and immediately honed in on the Ketchup recipe. I just happened to have an abundance of Aunt Ruby's German Green tomatoes that would be going to waste unless I did something with them, and I had a huge batch of already roasted Greens in the freezer, so I decided to make green Ketchup.

I went by the directions with a few exceptions: since I'd already roasted the frozen sauce with garlic, I didn't add any extra. I also didn't have nearly as many pounds of tomatoes as what they called for, so I winged it with the rest of the ingredients (I wound up putting in too much sugar, but it still tastes ok).
I cooked it down in the crockpot all afternoon and did the actual canning when I got home from work that Sunday night.

The result was 5 pints of green ketchup that tastes great.

2 comments:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

Neato! That never would have occurred to me. Oh the woes of the modern age.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I have never tried making ketchup before.
Last year I made a batch of hot sauce with all the habenero peppers from the garden. It was awesome!