Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pineapple in Brown Sugar Rum Sauce

Oh, yeah.

This is the second time I've made this recipe. Now, pineapple isn't exactly 'local' in Pennsylvania, I know. But. This is great over vanilla ice cream. This is fantastic when a ham steak soaks in it and is baked. And I'm sure it's great by itself, but honestly it's never made it that far.
The recipe is in the thin Ball Blue Book that Matt's grandmother gave me:
  • 2 ripe pineapples
  • 2 cups water
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cups rum
The first time I did the recipe I diced the pineapple in about 1/4 chunks. Very small, this time we did them larger (Matt helped). I also used dark brown sugar this time, hence the nice, dark color:
Take the water and brown sugar, boil it, then reduce it to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pineapple until it is heated through, place into 1/2 pint or pint jars and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Nothing to it!

3 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Now if you had posted this before my drive back, I would have made sure that we stop by to try some. :)

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

1/2 a cup of Rum? ::lol:: sounds a little conservative. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I see the water and sugar added. Did you drink the rum?