Wednesday, June 16, 2010

2 Recipes for Leftover Rice

My darling hooband recently made rice to go with a stir-fry recipe I was trying out for the first time. Problem is, he made approximately enough rice to feed the country of Japan 3 times over for 2 days. OK, that's an exaggeration, but only slightly.

So, what to do with the leftover rice?

Fortunately, I had one recipe and after a quick internet search I found another. Both are wonderful. So the next time you find yourself with a lot of leftover rice, try one of these on for size.

Creole Rice
(I found this one on Allrecipes.com)

1/4 cup butter
1 tsp Creole seasoning*
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups cooked white (or whatever) rice

Melt butter in a saucepan, add seasoning and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in rice. Cover pan and heat through. Serve!

*If you don't have any you can use: 1/2 tsp EACH paprika and garlic powder; a pinch EACH cayenne, dried thyme, and ground cumin. I would also add salt to taste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leftover Rice Rice Pudding
(I can't remember where I found this recipe)

2 cups leftover cooked white rice
3 cups milk (any kind, even soy) (I used slightly less and it was fine)
1/2 cup sugar
small pinch salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla extract*
1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional**
pinch of nutmeg, optional***

Combine cooked rice, milk, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and stir in the vanilla (*I actually had part of a vanilla bean, I used that and took it out later) and raisins.

Cook until all the milk is absorbed (30-45min). Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg, if using.

Serve warm or chilled. If you chill it, it will thicken up a bit more.

* ** *** Feel free to mess with this recipe. When I put in the first four ingredients, I also put in some empty cardamom pods I had on hand to infuse. I picked them out later. The first time I ever had rice pudding, Tim put in cardamom and it just isn't the same without it (thanks, Tim!). Also, you could put in a broken up cinnamon stick in the first step instead of putting in ground cinnamon later.

5 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Fried rice is what I normally make if I have leftover rice. Fried rice is very easy to make and it's great when you need to "get rid" of leftovers in the fridge.

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

::lol:: It was Kheer and it is delicious.

I have been trying to find the right amount of saffron to add which also make it delicious...er.

Mama Pea said...

We love leftover rice thrown in our scrambled eggs. Just beat the eggs and then mix in some cooked rice and then scramble the eggs as you normally would. (I also saute some chopped onion - and fresh mushrooms if I have them - in the pan in butter before adding the egg mixture.) Always good!

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

I've done that with my rice and omelets too.

H. Kids said...

I am very lucky to see this blog of recipes. The two Recipes for leftover rice. Thank you.