Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cabbages! And Brown Sugar!!

Last year, I put in cabbages for the first time, WAY too late.

They overwintered fine, though, even with a snow load like we had.

Most of the plants bolted, including this one, but I harvested 6 baby cabbages last night!

Aren't they adorable? Three of them are already chopped up for sauerkraut, the other three will be sauteed. In butter. This week sometime. Yum!

So, now I want to grow MORE cabbage, but I don't have any in yet. Is it too late?

In other news, I was reading a blog several weeks ago where they were talking about making some staples instead of buying them. One of the things was brown sugar. It's easy cheesy, just mix molasses with white sugar and you have brown sugar. You want dark brown sugar? Add more molasses. Simple.

And it was gorgeous and tasted divine. I'll never buy brown sugar again.

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Cabbage, yeah! I do not know if it's too late to plant cabbage or not. I just planted mine about 3 weeks ago. The first batch I planted in the spring didn't make it. Hopefully this batch will work out.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I too was excited to find out how to make brown sugar..of all the things we don't know ..:o) ..Ginny